The messy, bohemian hair styles are a regular on the catwalk, and are easy to adopt for day hair wear, and for rock chic chicks even evening hair! As with everything, it’s easy when you know how, so we’re here to share with you some how-tos when it comes to nailing messy hair.
Hair Look 1 - Modern Farah Fawcett (see cover picture above)
For this look, we’re channeling the feathered style of those 70s beauty icons, but recreating a thoroughly modern look. This suits most hair types. You may wish to use Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Volume Collection, with Papaya and Tangerine Butter and follow these steps:
2. Blot hair dry with a towel.
3. Apply Giovanni 2Chic Ultra-Volume Styling Mousse and comb through thoroughly from root to tip.
4. Blow dry forward, using your fingers until completely dry.
5. Then use a round brush smooth the hair in multiple directions - up, down, left & right, to frame the face and add volume at the same time.
6. Spritz with Giovanni 2Chic Ultra-Volume Hair Spray.
#BeautyTip - for an even more modern look, utilise your hair straighteners to create kinks in the hair at different angles.
Hair Look 2 - Messy Bun
The tip to a messy bun, like the first look, is to create volume. You can utilise either Giovanni 2Chic Ultra-Volume Big Body Hair Spray or John Masters Organics Sea Salt Sea Spray Styling Mist for this.
1. Brush hair through, then apply styling product all over.
2. Pull hair through into a loose ponytail.
3. Split your ponytail into sections, you will be working with these sections into your bun.
4. Create volume in any of the sections that look a bit flat, by carefully teasing or “backcombing” with your fingers. At this stage, you may wish to utilise more product.
5. Now, take each section and wrap into the bun, securing with kirby grips and/or tucking the end into the hair tie (whichever is easiest and available.
6. Check how the bun looks from behind by using two mirrors and looking from every angle.
7. Finish with some holding spray, such as Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
Hair Look 3 - Messy Side Ponytail
This style can be worn to the back or the side, we just love the nineties so much that we recommend the side’do! When going for this style, it’s best to utilise day-old hair i.e. hair that you washed yesterday. If you have fine or thin hair, or if your hair is clean, use Giovanni 2Chic Ultra-Volume Styling Mousse, if your hair is oily or greasy, you might wish to utilise a dry shampoo.
1. Using a rat’s tail comb, create a deep side parting. If you don’t have a rat’s tail comb, utilise your fingers, or even a pen!
2. “Backcomb” the hair from you crown forward with your fingers. You don’t want 80s huge volume, but enough to add some volume to this style.
3. Smooth down the top layer of your hair with a hairbrush and a gentle cool shot of your hairdryer. Don’t overdo it though, as you want this to be a messy look.
4. Take this big hair and secure to the back of your head using kirby grips in an “X” formation. If you are opting for the side ponytail, then the X should be off centre towards the side of your ponytail.
5. Now gather up all of your hair and secure in a ponytail with a hair band at the nape of your neck.
6. Add volume to your ponytail by “backcombing” with your fingers, or gently teasing with a comb.
7. Cover the hair band by criss crossing two sections of hair over the hair band and securing with kirby grips.
Do you have a super fab hair styling tip to share, then please post in the comments and let us know. Do you have a pic of your summer hair do, if so we would love to see it. Just upload your pic to facebook, twitter or instagram and tag us in.